The Monte Vista Christian Mustangs beat cross-town rival St. Francis Central Coast Catholic with a 15-hit performance to record the 17-5 win Tuesday in Watsonville.
The game was stopped by the mercy-rule after a seven-run sixth inning.
Whitney Cisneros was the winning pitcher and went 3-of-4 with the bat. She recorded a game-high five RBIs and scored twice.
Cisneros went four innings and allowed six hits, and one walk. Kelli Graham finished the final two innings allowing just two hits and two walks.
Graham also had a good day offensively finishing 2-of-4 with three RBIs, three runs scored and a double.
All but two of the nine Mustang hitters scored at least twice, and everyone recorded a hit.
St. Francis kept it close after allowing Monte Vista Christian to go up 5-0 in the top of the fourth. They scored four in the bottom of the inning and made it a one-run game.
But the Mustangs scored 12 runs in the next two innings, while holding the Sharks to just one.
Monte Vista Christian hosts King City today at 4:30 p.m. and St. Francis will play in this weekend’s Watsonville tournament at Watsonville High.
• Saratoga 9, Aptos 1 - Aptos High dropped a tough one, 9-1, to Saratoga High Tuesday in Saratoga.
Casey Messersmith was 1 for 3 with a double. Michelle Firebaugh went 1 for 3 with a double and the only RBI.
Kate Jefferies also recorded a double.
Firebaugh pitched 3 2/3 innings before giving way to Michaela Barnett.
Aptos hosts Live Oak High today at 4 p.m.
• Monte Vista Christian 5, Palma 2 - Monte Vista Christian fell 5-2 to Palma High Tuesday.
Antonio Ruiz was the only Mustang to win his singles match, beating Jackson Kesecker 6-4, 6-0 in the No. 4 spot.
Oscar Chang and Jacky Hsu swept Ben Delbick and Zack Zender in No. 4 doubles.
• Aptos 3, Soquel 1 - Cole Welle and the Losik brothers, Kael and Kolby, led the Aptos Mariners to the 25-17, 20-25, 25-14, 25-20 win against the Soquel Knights Tuesday at Soquel High.
Aptos (5-3, 2-0) travels to San Lorenzo Valley today at 6:30 p.m.
• Gonzalez 3, Pajaro Valley 2 - The Pajaro Valley Grizzlies dropped a five-set battle 25-16, 26-24, 18-25, 25-27, 8-15 against Gonzalez Tuesday.
Ruben Garcia recorded eight aces, three kills and 22 assists.
Eddie Medina led the Grizzlies with nine kills and three blocks.
Pajaro Valley travels to Monterey today.
• Carmel 3, Watsonville 1 - The Watsonville Wildcatz lost their first Monterey Bay League contest in over a year to Carmel Tuesday night at Watsonville High.
Watsonville (2-2, 1-1) will travel to Seaside High today for a 6:30 p.m. contest against the Spartans and their former coach Derrick Moore.
• San Mateo 6, Cabrillo 2 - The Cabrillo College Seahawks had their wings clipped in a 6-2 loss to the College of San Mateo.
Drake Yoshio and Nazereth Thi scored for Cabrillo (7-11, 4-2).
The Hawks make the trip to Skyline at 2:30 p.m. today.
WATSONVILLE FIL-AM REC-LEAGUE BASKETBALL:
The Barako Boys, Watsonville Ballers and Heat all got wins in Sunday night recreational league basketball action at Pajaro Valley High.
The Barako Boys dropped the Salinas Warriors in a close game, 70-69.
Jairo Cervantes paced the winners with 31 points and Amit Claro added 24. Milan Fanni deposited 17.
Kip Lapitan scored 24 points for the Warriors and Jordan Gomez helped the cause with 22.
The Watsonville Ballers edged team Filican 66-59.
Mark Hinojosa had a game-high 21 points and teammate Jimmy Bajog dropped in 14.
For Filican, Cody Vacarcel and Zer Blanco were the high men with 17.
Team Add Quad got 24 points from Philip Mendoza, but still fell to the heat 65-40.
Chris Mijares, Dany Victory, Eric Elyda and Jacob Rodrigues all scored in double figures.
SETTING IT STRAIGHT
In the March 11 edition of the Register-Pajaronian, Pajaro Valley head coach of the boy’s soccer team, Juan Roman, was mistakenly named Juan Cisneros in the article, “Cross-town soccer rivalry to continue despite PV’s move.”
Share on Facebook