100 Westridge Dr., Watsonville, CA 95076 • Ph: 831-761-7300 • Fax: 831-722-8386
E-EDITION LAST UPDATED:
Current E-Edition

Local news Sports State/Nation Obituaries Opinion Movie Times Photos Home 

Decision time for Council on tax measure

Posted: Friday, Feb 21st, 2014




WATSONVILLE The Watsonville City Council will consider Tuesday placing a public safety tax measure on the June ballot.

If approved, 60 percent of the revenues from the tax measure will go to the police department, while the remaining 40 percent will go to the fire department, according to a report by Ezequiel Vega, administrative services director.

The measure, which requires a two-thirds voter approval, has a seven-year sunset date. According to the report, the half-percent increase in sales tax is expected to generate $2.8 million annually and $20 million over seven years.

With the increase, Watsonville's sales tax rate would be the highest in the county at 9 percent, with the cities of Capitola, Santa Cruz and Scotts Valley at 8.75 percent.



For the complete article see the 02-22-2014 issue.

Click here to purchase an electronic version of the 02-22-2014 paper.


Share on Facebook











Select Page:
Within:
Keyword:

Entertainment

Translate Website Hide







 

Copyright 2014 News Media Corporation

News    Classifieds    Shoppe    Search    ContactUs    TalkBack    Subscribe    Information    E-Edition    Business Portal