SANTA CRUZ – A 29-year-old Santa Cruz man was severely burned Wednesday afternoon when a hash oil production facility in his home exploded, the Santa Cruz Police Department announced.
According to police, the man was using combustible chemicals to extract THC from marijuana plants.
It was the second time in 10 days that an explosion at a hash oil production facility caused serious injuries.
The explosion at the home located on the 100 block of Walk Circle blew the doors off a bathroom, where the hash production facility was located, police said.
Witnesses said a male occupant appeared to be badly burned and drove away from the home.
Officers were alerted that a burn victim had arrived at Dominican Hospital emergency room after trying to drive himself. He met his girlfriend at some point, who drove him the rest of the way. The victim was eventually transported to a Bay Area burn center where he was listed in critical condition.
Officers also found two injured dogs that were badly singed from the blast. They also found a large quantity of marijuana and more than a dozen butane canisters in the bathroom.
Police will continue the investigation and consider appropriate criminal charges
Share on Facebook