100 Westridge Dr., Watsonville, CA 95076 • Ph: 831-761-7300 • Fax: 831-722-8386
E-EDITION LAST UPDATED:
Current E-Edition

Local news Sports State/Nation Obituaries Opinion Movie Times Photos Home 

Fourth aftermath heavy on trash, light on crime

Posted: Friday, Jul 5th, 2013


Vladan Glogovac, a maintenance worker for California State Parks, works on removing trash from Seabright State Beach Friday morning where Fourth of July revelers hauled in more than they hauled out. (Photos by Tarmo Hannula/Register-Pajaronian)


SANTA CRUZ — Hundreds of volunteers joined forces with Save Our Shores and California State Parks Friday in an annual effort to mop up after Fourth of July revelers.

Laura Kasa, executive director of Save Our Shores, said the giant one-day networking cleanup yanked in 1,490 pounds of trash.

“That is down 10 pounds from last year and, though it is small, it’s still significant,” Kasa said. “This year we made a special effort to try and educate people on their way to the beach and people seemed to listen and want to do their part. They know that stewardship of their beaches is their responsibility.”

This year the operation by SOS included the Main Beach in Santa Cruz, Twin Lakes, Seabright, Davenport, Panther Beach and in Del Monte and Carmel.

“This year we added two new neighborhoods — the Seabright area and West Cliff Drive,” Kasa said. “I think we impacted a lot of people going out in to the neighborhoods.”

For the complete article see the 07-06-2013 issue.

Click here to purchase an electronic version of the 07-06-2013 paper.


Share on Facebook











Select Page:
Within:
Keyword:

Entertainment

Translate Website Hide







 

Copyright 2014 News Media Corporation

News    Classifieds    Shoppe    Search    ContactUs    TalkBack    Subscribe    Information    E-Edition    Business Portal