Monte Vista Christian's Sydney Beadle (right) blocks the shot of Harker's Nithya Vemireddy during the second half Thursday night at Monte Vista Christian High. Also defending is Greer Watson. (Glenn Cravens/Register-Pajaronian)
WATSONVILLE — The Monte Vista Christian High School girls basketball team will head into the weekend with its season still going.
The Mustangs defeated Harker 53-36 on Thursday night in the second round of the Central Coast Section Division IV tournament.
With the win, the MBL Pacific Division co-champions will face SCCAL runner-up Scotts Valley at 1 p.m. Saturday in Belmont.
Monte Vista Christian never trailed and took the lead for good early on thanks to a 10-2 run in the final 5:52 of the first quarter.
The run was typical Monte Vista Christian, as so many players got involved. Emma Pirtle got a rebound and a putback. Myckenzie Toler stole the ball and got a breakaway layup. Sydney Beadle leaped over everyone for a rebound and got a putback. Pirtle tossed the ball low to Beadle for an assist. Alyssa Smedlund sank two free throws.
By the time Harker got to double digits in scoring — Rebecca Liu made two free throws with 1:44 to go in the second quarter — the visiting Eagles trailed Monte Vista Christian 23-11.
Monte Vista Christian held a double-digit lead for most of the second half and never let Harker get that one run that would make the fans squirm.
Harker put together eight points in an 89-second span to cut its deficit to 46-36 with 2:01 to go in the game. But that ended up being the team’s last points of the game. Monte Vista Christian, meanwhile, scored the final seven points of the game to seal the victory.
Myckenzie Toler had 16 points to lead Monte Vista Christian. Sydney Beadle had 15 points.
• Santa Cruz 38, San Mateo 34: At San Mateo, the Cardinals returned after more than a week off and defeated host San Mateo in a second round Division III contest.
With the win, the Cardinals assure themselves of a date with top-seeded Burlingame at 4:30 p.m. Saturday at Christopher High in Gilroy.
• Notre Dame of Belmont 27, Seaside 24: At Seaside, the Tigers eliminated the Spartans from the Monterey Bay in one of the lowest-scoring games of the postseason.
With the win, Notre Dame faces top-seeded Soquel at 6:15 p.m. Saturday. Although Soquel is the top seed, eighth-seeded Notre Dame will be the hosts.
• Anzar 64, Alma Heights Christian 43: At Anzar, the Hawks continued their record-breaking season with a win over Alma Heights in the first round of the Division V tournament.
The Hawks go for their 20th win and a spot in the semifinals at 1 p.m. Saturday when they face Notre Dame of Salinas. The game will be held at Castilleja High.
• Santa Catalina 50, Jewish Community 15: At Monterey, the Cougars routed the small school from San Francisco to advance to the quarterfinals in the Division V tournament.
It’s the team’s second win in a row.
Santa Catalina next faces St. Francis Central Coast Catholic on Saturday at 4:30 p.m. The game will be held at Castilleja High.
• Summit Prep 49, Oakwood 27: At Redwood City, Summit earned the rout in the first round of the Division V tournament.
With the win, they’ll face top-seeded Pacific Collegiate on Saturday at 6:15 p.m. The game will be at Castilleja High.
For the complete article see the 02-23-2013 issue.
Click here to view the 02-23-2013 E-Edition containing the rest of this article.
Share on Facebook