The North Monterey County High boys basketball team improved to 2-0 on the season with a 68-24 victory over Pacific Collegiate on Monday night.
The Condors are 2-0 for the first time since the 2003-04 season, when they went 4-0 and eventually won their only Monterey Bay League championship in school history.
Kevin Montemayor led North Monterey County with 16 points. Daniel Valle had 13 points, and Jordan Graves put in 10 points.
The Condors play host to Gonzales on Wednesday to finish off their three-game homestand.
• Monte Vista Christian 73, San Lorenzo Valley 59: At Monte Vista Christian, the Mustangs won their opener by holding down the visiting Cougars.
David Hightower had 34 points on 16-for-26 shooting to lead Monte Vista Christian. Nick Matiasevich totaled 14 points, and DeShawn Hopkins had 10 points.
Monte Vista Christian plays host to Pacific Collegiate on Wednesday.
• Watsonville 48, Aptos 32: At Watsonville, the Wildcatz scored the first six points of the game and didn’t look back in defeating rival Aptos on Monday.
Mandy Cabanlit scored 13 points, seven in the second half. Sonya Cervantes had 11 points, and Johnah Mondragon scored 10 points for Watsonville, which improved to 3-1.
Amanda Ang scored 10 points, and Kendal Bivens had six points for Aptos.
Watsonville doesn’t play again until Thursday in its own tournament. Aptos (0-2) travels to Seaside on Friday.
• Watsonville 51, Harbor 10: At the Gilroy Mustang Tournament, the Wildcatz routed Harbor on Saturday to finish in third place in the holiday tournament.
Mandy Cabanlit had 16 points, and Briana Cueva had 14 points.
• Monte Vista Christian 67, San Lorenzo Valley 13: At Monte Vista Christian, the Mustangs improved to 2-0 with the rout over the Cougars on Saturday.
Myckenzie Toler led the Mustangs with 18 points and Sydney Beadle had 17 points for the Mustangs. Greer Watson and Emma Pirtle each had eight points.
Monte Vista Christian next plays in the Watsonville Tournament on Thursday.
• St. Francis of Mountain View 4, Aptos 0: At Aptos, the Mariners were unable to get on the board against the Lancers and fell in a non-league contest.
The loss dropped Aptos to 0-1-1 on the season.
The Mariners play host to Los Gatos tonight before going on the road for four consecutive contests.
• Mountain View 2, Scotts Valley 0: At Mountain View, the Spartans held off the Falcons in a non-league contest.
The loss was Scotts Valley’s first this season.
Goalkeeper Emily Johnson made seven saves for Scotts Valley, which managed just three shots on goal compared to Mountain View’s 19.
• Watsonville 2, Leland 0: At Homestead High, the Wildcatz won their opener of the 2012 Homestead Cup by shutting out Leland.
Jesse Figueroa and Gonzalo Samudio each had a goal in the win. Samudio assisted on Figueroa’s goal.
Jose Luis Castaneda and Roman Cruz each played a half and combined for eight saves in preserving the shutout.
For the complete article see the 12-04-2012 issue.
Click here to view the 12-04-2012 E-Edition containing the rest of this article.
Share on Facebook