Watsonville High’s girls soccer team will play for the championship of its own tournament today after going 2-0 this past week.
The Wildcatz defeated Harbor 1-0 on Thursday in the second round of the tournament. The home team got a goal in the second half to down the Pirates.
Watsonville will face Santa Cruz at 5 p.m. in the title game of the gold division.
In the other division final, Carmel will play at 3 p.m. against Notre Dame or North Monterey County.
• Scotts Valley 5, Notre Dame 0: At Monterey Peninsula College, senior captain Madison Black scored two goals, both headers, to help the Falcons get the victory over Notre Dame.
Anna Payne, Nicole LaPorte and Lena Gustafsson all scored for the Falcons (1-0-1).
The win was Scotts Valley’s first of the season. The team travels to Mountain View today.
• North Monterey County: The Condors’ game against Notre Dame in the Watsonville Tournament was postponed because of transportation and weather issues.
North Monterey County, 1-0 in the tournament, will face the Spirits at 11 a.m. today as part of a doubleheader.
• St. Francis Central Coast Catholic 57, Pajaro Valley 41: At the James Lick Tournament, Matt DeVogelaere scored 23 points and was named tournament Most Valuable Player as the Sharks beat Pajaro Valley in the finals.
Trey Yee had 11 points and all-tournament honoree Aidan Mathews had 10 points.
Pajaro Valley’s Mark Hinojosa scored 26 points and was named to the all-tournament team.
St. Francis (3-0) also denied Pajaro Valley (3-1) a chance at its first 4-0 start in school history.
• Aptos 66, Gunn 49: At Aptos, the Mariners downed the Titans in the semifinals of their own Seascape Classic Tournament.
With the win, the Mariners advance to the tournament finals against St. Mary’s of Stockton today.
• North Monterey County 81, King City 58: At North Monterey County, the Condors won their season opener for the first time since 2005, beating the visiting Mustangs.
David Valle (18) was one of four Condors who had at least 10 points.
North Monterey County plays host to Pacific Collegiate on Monday.
• Gilroy 57, Watsonville 53: At Aptos, the Wildcatz were unable to hold a double-digit halftime lead and lost in the second round of the Seascape Classic Tournament on Friday.
Watsonville shot 5 for 10 from the free-throw line in the fourth quarter, while Gilroy nailed seven of nine shots from the stripe.
Alex Chavez had 23 points to lead Watsonville, which led by 13 points at the half.
Watsonville faces Dixon today in the final round of the tournament.
• Pajaro Valley 55, James Lick 50: At the James Lick tournament, the Grizzlies downed the tournament hosts to improve to 3-0.
The Grizzlies’ three wins to start the season match their win total from the 2011-12 season.
Mark Hinojosa had 24 points in the victory.
• St. Francis Central Coast Catholic 56, Overfelt 23: At the James Lick Tournament, the Sharks routed Overfelt on Thursday to advance to the finals.
Matt DeVogelaere had a game-high 28 points for the Sharks. Aidan Mathews tallied 12 points.
• Gunn 52, Watsonville 43: At Aptos, the Wildcatz fell behind by eight after one quarter and were unable to beat the Titans on Thursday in the Seascape Classic Tournament opener.
Justin Carrancho had 11 points, while Kasem Green had 10 points.
• Aptos 71, Gilroy 60: At Aptos, the Mariners pounced on Gilroy early to win the opener of its own Seascape Classic Tournament on Thursday. Cole Welle finished with a team-best 23 points.
The win was Aptos’ first of the season.
• Santa Cruz 48, Watsonville 42 (OT): At Gilroy, the Wildcatz were downed by Santa Cruz in the semifinals of the Gilroy Mustang Tournament on Friday night.
The win leaves Watsonville 1-1 in the tournament. The Wildcatz will face Evergreen Valley or Harbor today.
• Greenfield 55, Pajaro Valley 18: At Greenfield, the Bruins downed the Grizzlies to win their first of the season.
The loss dropped Pajaro Valley to 0-2.
The two teams meet again Wednesday to complete the home-and-home series.
For the complete article see the 12-01-2012 issue.
Click here to purchase an electronic version of the 12-01-2012 paper.
Share on Facebook