The Pajaro Valley High girls volleyball team needed five games to defeat Gilroy on Tuesday night in south Santa Clara County.
The Grizzlies won 26-24, 19-25, 19-25, 25-9, 15-9 to improve to 2-3 in the Monterey Bay League’s Pacific Division.
Mercedes Chavez had 13 kills and four service aces, and Melissa Camacho had 10 kills and two service aces. Yesenia Melgoza, Anisa Heredia and Alison Espinoza each had five kills.
Holly Holbert had a team-high 17 assists, and Heredia had 16 assists. Deni Romero tallied 20 digs.
Pajaro Valley doesn’t play again until Tuesday against Alvarez.
• Aptos 3, Mount Madonna 0: At Aptos, the Mariners won their seventh consecutive match, beating the Hawks 25-13, 25-20, 25-8 on Tuesday.
Jenna Belton had 12 kills, and Taylor Guy had 11 kills to pace the Mariners (12-5, 5-2 SCCAL).
Shannon Cotton had 32 assists.
Aptos travels to Harbor today.
• Notre Dame 3, Monte Vista Christian 0: At Monte Vista Christian, the Mustangs lost their fourth consecutive match, falling in three games to the powerhouse squad from Salinas.
The loss put Monte Vista Christian at 1-5 in the Monterey Bay League’s Gabilan Division.
The squad plays host to Watsonville tonight.
• Soquel 3, Santa Cruz 0: At Santa Cruz, the Knights bounced back from an emotional five-game loss to Harbor by defeating the Cardinals.
The sweep was Soquel’s fifth in league play.
Soquel faces San Lorenzo Valley tonight.
Boys water polo
• Monterey 13, Aptos 6: At Aptos, the Mariners remained winless on the season, as Monterey handed them their ninth defeat.
Chris Staka scored three times to lead Aptos. Alex Stratton and Zach Evans each had a goal, and freshman Myles Gutgesnell scored twice.
Ricky Chavez made five saves as Aptos goalkeeper.
The Mariners will host their annual invitational tournament on Friday.
• Aptos 6, St. Francis Central Coast Catholic 1: At Aptos, the Mariners won for an eighth straight time, beating the Sharks on Tuesday.
It’s the third match in a row Aptos had six victories on the court.
Aptos travels to Soquel today.
• Alvarez 6, Monte Vista Christian 1: At Alvarez, the Eagles nearly shut out the Mustangs, but Monte Vista Christian picked up a win in doubles.
The team of Jenny Na and Maybelle Tan defeated Rochelle Reyes and Pandeen Lato 6-4, 4-6 10-3 for Monte Vista Christian’s lone win.
Katie Riordan lost to Nia Casad 6-3, 6-0 in the No. 1 singles match.
Girls water polo
• Christopher 14, Harbor 7: At Santa Cruz, the Pirates were doubled up by the visiting Cougars of Gilroy.
Dusty Greer had three goals and five steals. Aliah McCord and Elana Sanford, Heather Kingsley and Gabrielle McClelland each scored.
Harbor travels to Cabrillo to face Santa Cruz on Thursday.
• Aptos 195, San Lorenzo Valley 238: At DeLaveaga Golf Club, the Mariners coasted to a team win past the Cougars.
Chloe Tsudama shot a 32 to win medalist honors. It’s the fifth time this season she has had the lowest score for Aptos.
Tai Li Harrill shot a 35; she was the only other Aptos golfer to card under 40.
For the complete article see the 10-04-2012 issue.
Click here to purchase an electronic version of the 10-04-2012 paper.
Share on Facebook