The Watsonville Wildcatz softball team improved to 10-0 overall with four wins over the weekend, beating Aptos, Santa Catalina, Alvarez and Pajaro Valley.
Against Aptos, Juliana Wilson, Zaira Pena and Mariah Rocha all hit homers and combined for 11 RBIs to lead the Wildcatz to a 15-0 win. Jessica Rodriguez tossed a four-hit shutout against the Mariners, while striking out seven.
In Watsonville’s 18-2 win over Santa Catalina, Wilson and Pena hit homers and finished a combined 7-for-7 with seven RBIs and seven scored runs. Rodriguez was 2-for-4 with two RBIs and one run.
Rodriguez allowed only one hit over six innings in a 9-0 win over Alvarez. Savanah Quintana was 2-for-2 with two doubles, two RBIs and three scored runs. Pena was 3-for-3 with two RBIs and two doubles.
Wilson had three triples, a homer, three scored runs and six RBIs in Watsonville’s 19-0 win over Pajaro Valley. Rocha hit three doubles, Nicole Wilson hit a homer and Zaira Pena doubled.
Liyah Lopez picked up the win in the circle against Pajaro Valley, allowing only one hit and striking out four.
Watsonville hosts Monterey today at 4:30 p.m. in each team’s Monterey Bay League Gabilan division opener.
• Watsonville 10, PV 0 - Max Ramirez tossed a five-inning, one-hit shutout to lead the Watsonville Wildcatz over the Pajaro Valley Grizzlies, 10-0, on Friday in Monterey Bay League Pacific division play.
Ramirez struck out six.
Ryan Rivera was 3-for-4 with a double, three RBIs and two scored runs. James Gomez Jr. was 2-for-3 with a double, an RBI and two scored runs. Dylan Vargas finished 2-for-2 with a triple and an RBI.
Watsonville plays at North Monterey County on Wednesday at 4 p.m.
• Aptos 18, Harbor 11 - Jake Keaschall was 3-for-6 with a double, four RBIs and a scored run to lead the Aptos Mariners past the Harbor Pirates on Friday in Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League action.
David Reckers was 2-for-3 with two scored runs and two RBIs. Joseph Navarrette went 2-for-4 with three RBIs and three scored runs.
Aptos (5-2-1, 1-1) host San Lorenzo Valley today at 4 p.m.
• Santa Cruz 18, St. Francis 6 - The St. Francis Sharks lost 18-6 to Santa Cruz on Friday in Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League play.
St. Francis (1-7, 0-2) hosts Soquel today at 4 p.m.
• Christopher 7, Monte Vista Christian 4 - The Monte Vista Christian Mustangs lost 7-4 on Friday to the Christopher Cougars in Monterey Bay League Gabilan division action.
Jacob Beardsley was 3-for-4 with a scored run. Jackson Collins, Cody Paresa and Ian Koenig each had an RBI.
MVC plays at Palma today at 4 p.m.
• PCS 3, Aptos 0 - The Aptos Mariners suffered their second straight Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League defeat on Friday, falling to Pacific Collegiate School, 25-14, 25-15, 25-8 on Friday.
Aptos (3-2, 2-2) will look to bounce back on Wednesday at San Lorenzo Valley at 6:30 p.m.
• Cabrillo 8, Modesto 4 - The Cabrillo College Seahawks piled up 11 hits in an 8-4 non-conference win over Modesto Junior College on Friday.
Jarius Richards was 3-for-5 with a homer, two scored runs and two RBIs. Clayton Andrews finished 2-for-4 with three scored runs. Easton Vidales tripled and Cooper Krug doubled.
Cabrillo (15-8, 4-0 in Coast Conference Pacific) travels to Canada College today at 2:30 p.m. for a CC-P game.
• Cabrillo splits - Cabrillo College split four games over the weekend.
In a tournament at Ohlone College on Saturday, Cabrillo (9-20, 2-4 in Coast Conference South) lost to the host, 10-5, but beat Butte College, 8-6.
Cabrillo split a double-header with Lassen College, losing the first game 5-3 but winning the second 13-4.
Cabrillo travels to Chabot College today for a 3 p.m. CC-S game.
GIRL’S TRACK AND FIELD
• Zlatunich takes 1,600 - Aptos junior distance runner won the 1,600-meters at the Garlic Classic Invitational on Saturday in Gilroy.
Competing against several top runners from the Santa Cruz Coast Athletic League, Zlatunich finished the four-lap race in 5 minutes, 6.75 seconds — a season best — to take first. Her teammate Sofia Natividad finished sixth (5:28.89).
Senior distance runner Annika McBride finished third in the 3,200 (12:01.75) and Indra Lyons was third in the 100 hurdles (17.65).
BOY’S TRACK AND FIELD
• Rasmussen wins discus - Aptos senior thrower Ethan Rasmussen took first in the discus at Saturday’s Garlic Classic Invitational in Gilroy.
Rasmussen’s toss of 146-feet, 10-inches not only got him the top spot but it was also a season best.
Fellow Mariner Jorge Benitez, a junior distance runner, took third in the 1,600-meters with a personal best time of 4 minutes, 36.89 seconds.
Senior sprinter Danner Pardue was third in the 100 (11.6).
North Monterey County senior Ryan Orlando was second in the high jump (5-10).
• Santa Cruz 135, Texas 121 - The Santa Cruz Warriors were able to record a split with the Texas Legends on Saturday with a 135-121 win at Kaiser Permanente Arena.
Jabari Brown scored 26 points off the bench and Scott Wood added 18 points and nine rebounds. James Southerland (17 points, 11 rebounds), Phil Pressey (13 points, 12 assists) and Golden State Warriors assignee Kevon Looney (12 points, 10 rebounds) all recorded double-doubles.
Santa Cruz (26-19) will try to continue its playoff push today against the Rio Grande Valley Vipers on the road at 5 p.m.For the complete article see the 03-21-2017 issue.
Click here to purchase an electronic version of the 03-21-2017 paper.
Share on Facebook