Watsonville's Brianna Cueva (22) and Johnah Mondragon surround Monta Vista's Nassim Moallem during their game Tuesday night at Watsonville High. (Glenn Cravens/Register-Pajaronian)
WATSONVILLE – The Watsonville High girls basketball team was eliminated in the first round of the Central Coast Section Division I tournament on Tuesday night, as Monta Vista of Cupertino prevailed 54-49.
The Wildcatz, the co-champions of the Monterey Bay League’s Pacific Division, had the lead at the start of the fourth quarter only to have it grabbed right away by the visiting Matadores.
A cold snap also hit the home team, and at the wrong time. Brianna Cueva got a putback with 4:51 to go in the game, closing Watsonville’s deficit to 47-46. It ended up being the last basket by Watsonville until the final five seconds of the game when Sonya Cervantes hit a three-pointer.
In that final 4:51, Monta Vista only scored seven points, but its defense did its job, keeping Watsonville off the scoreboard. The Wildcatz finished the fourth quarter 3-for-12 from the court.
Watsonville finished the season 17-8.
● San Jose 51, North Monterey County 34: At San Jose Academy, the Condors’ hopes of stunning the Bulldogs were turned away by the home team in the first round of the Division III tournament.
The Condors finished the season 6-18.
● Monte Vista Christian: The Mustangs will face Harker at 5:30 p.m. Thursday in the second round of the Division IV tournament. The game is part of a doubleheader with the boys team, which plays at 7 p.m. Thursday.
Harker eliminated Oceana 51-40 in the first round on Tuesday.
● Los Gatos 61, Pajaro Valley 35: At Los Gatos, the Grizzlies’ return to the CCS tournament after a four-year absence resulted in a one-and-done situation in the Division II tournament.
The Wildcats held a double-digit lead at half.
Pajaro Valley finished the season 12-13.
● Prospect 60, North Monterey County 33: At San Jose, Prospect eliminated the Condors in the first round of the Division III tournament.
The Condors were making their first tournament appearance since 2009. They finish the season 11-14.
● Terra Nova 66, Sobrato 62: At Pacifica, the Bulldogs from Morgan Hill lost to Terra Nova in one of the closest first round games of the tournament this year.
With the win, Terra Nova faces Aptos on Thursday in the second round of the Division III tournament.
● Del Mar 61, Valley Christian 45: At Del Mar, the hosts denied Valley Christian its first win of the calendar year, prevailing in the first round of the Division III tournament.
With the win, Del Mar faces Santa Cruz on Thursday in the second round.
For the complete article see the 02-21-2013 issue.
Click here to view the 02-21-2013 E-Edition containing the rest of this article.
Share on Facebook